Thursday, June 25, 2009

Well, I have kind of lost track of time here and didn't even realize how long it had been since I have blogged. Yikes! Well, let's see. Things are going pretty well here. I'm getting out of the house a little more which has been great. There is a group of 10 English kids here for a couple months on a missions trip and I've gotten to hang out with them a bit which has been a lot of fun. When I say kids though, I mean two of them are my age and the rest are 18/19. The national dance of Chile is the cuaca and so I have been going to a cuaca class with these English kids for the past 3 weeks. It's just slightly ridiculous. You see, the cuaca is a dance of conquering. The man, a.k.a. the rooster, is trying to conquer the woman, a.k.a. the hen. Our instructors keep stressing the importance of maintaining eye contact with your partner, smiling, and, of course, flirting. Now, you tell a bunch of 18 year old English kids to maintain eye contact and flirt and you have a room full of very uncomfortable and giggly teenagers. It's kind of hysterical. Also, I don't know what it is, but there seems to be some kind of underlying social obligation, that whenever there is an English person and an American person hanging out together, they have to, at some point, have the whole "who is better" arguement. Now, usually, the person with homefield advantage wins, but we're on completely neutral turf here in Chile, which could hypothetically make this the SuperBowl, but the point is, we all have an equal chance of winning. Despite my best arguements, some of them viable some of them not, I still manage to lose just on account that there are 10 of them and only 1 of me. Unfair! This week, I was getting ready to dance a round with one of the guys and he said, "This is all wrong! She's American, she should be conquering me!" I pretty much died, but at the same time fulfilled my social obligation by acting fake offended. I have to say that there is nothing that will draw attention faster on the streets of Temuco than a bunch of white, and mostly blond, kids running around.

2 comments:

  1. Does this mean you'll be bringing home a prim and proper Englishman instead of a ruddy Chilean man? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I highly doubt that, but my aunt doesn't think it would be a bad idea if I took the one who went to Eten with Prince Harry home.

    ReplyDelete

WorldTimeServer Clock

Temuco