Monday, May 11, 2009

How to shock a Chilean

There are many differences I have noticed between the U.S. and Chile. I have mentioned some of these, but what I often forget is that Chileans find our culture just as odd as I find there's. And so, in light of these revelations, I have compiled an ever growing list of things I do, and have done, that end up shocking a Chilean.

#1: Smile and say good morning to a person you pass on the street.
This is never, ever, under any circumstances done. Chileans are taught, and brought up, to blend in. Unless they are just the worst kind of social rebels, their hair, clothes, and even the way they carry themselves is designed to blend in with the rest of the population. This is somewhat a reflection on the collective culture they have as opposed to our vastly individualistic culture. In the U.S., every individual is valued and wants to stand out. So, if you are walking on the street or in the mall in the U.S. and you happen to make eye contact with a stranger in passing, it is perfectly acceptable to smile and say hello or in someway acknowledge the other person's presence. This is not done in Chile. You ignore people and they ignore you. That's just the way it's done. I have forgotten this many a time and find myself making eye contact and smiling with strangers I pass on the street. They look at me like I've got a third eye or they're scared I'm going to mug them.

#2: Unexpectedly make a funny face.
I think this goes along with the whole "not wanting to stand out" thing, but also the fact that Chileans are very well put together people. We are extremely sloppy in comparison. This is probably more of a Western U.S. thing than an entire U.S. thing, but the women here will get all dressed up to go to the grocery store. Not trying to look your best is a wonder to them. You combine this with the fact that you are purposefully trying to make yourself look terrible, and you have one shocked Chilean. My mom's family has something they call the Stroup Sloop. (See picture below for reference.) Ridiculous, yes, but my cousins think it's hysterical and they now have me show all the adult Chileans who come over. You would think I had just thrown up on their shoes. They get this look that says, "Oh my gosh! Why would you do that? Oh, put that away! Put that away!" Funny faces. Good way to shock a Chilean.

#3: Tell them where I went to college.
As a part of the collective culture, family is extremely important to Latin Americans. I am beginning to appreciate and like this aspect of the culture, though it is extremely foreign to us North Americans. It is extremely common for unmarried men or women in their 30's to still be living at home. If they don't have a reason to go, why would they? This is the mindset, and parents will hold on to their kids like there is no tomorrow. In normal conversations with people, they'll ask me about college. What did I study, what was the name of the school, and then the, what they mean as a rhetorical question, "and you lived at home with your parents?" I then have to interrupt them and correct their assumption that I had lived at home while I went to college. They are surprised. "Really? Well you were in same state though right?" I then have to tell them that I went to college in Canada and 3000 km away from my house. Oh my word. As soon as they hear this they look equally fascinated and horrified that at the tender age of 18 I went 3000 km away from home to go to school, and that my parents had let me on top of that! Every time I mention this to our housekeeper she shakes her head, says "Not my son! He's my baby. He's staying at home with me forever.", and holds an imaginary 20 year old Gustavo to her chest. I always love when people ask me about my college experience because I know what is going to come next and enjoy it immensely.

3 comments:

  1. tee hee hee. :) They don't understand that God provides "fill in-pseudo" family while you're away from home. ;) I miss your stories when I get home from school. Seriously. They still make me smile even if I don't remember all the details... or any of the details really... it was the telling that got to me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic post! I may have to do the same for Mongolia one of these days. #1 is pretty similar, except that Mongolians will make eye contact with you -- they'll stare you into the ground -- but they will never smile. Ever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh wow..... such a difference!
    You should tell the chileans that it is easier for you to go to TWU than to move TWU to denver....

    did you tell them that you studied communications and theater? what was their reaction to that? I find myself always explaining what communications is and why to study theatre at a university level.... oh joy!


    keep up with the posts! love hearing what is going on!

    ReplyDelete

WorldTimeServer Clock

Temuco